Published CQ Magazine. May 1993.
This article concerns a major DXpedition to a very dangerous place at a very dangerous time. It is also a tale of international cooperation and demonstrates the spirit of amateur radio.
The YA5MM DXpedition actually had its beginnings on the roof of a five-story apartment building in Dushanbe Tajikistan in August 1991. RT4UQ (Vasily, who like me is from Kiev in the Ukraine), UJ8JMM (Nodir, from Dushanbe), and UJ8JCQ (Alex, whose roof we were on), and I had just returned ftorn a successful DXpedition under the callsign UJ1K to Kulyabskaya oblast in the mountainous regions of Tajikistan. We were on UJ8JCQ's roof helping Alex reassemble and erect his antennas, which we had used in expedition.
ICOM IC7800 Main HF+50 Mhz Rig
YAESU FT1000D Backup HF Rig
Acom 2000A 1,5 KW HF Power Amplifier
ICOM IC-910H 144 Mhz-1,2 Ghz, Satellite Radio
- Force12 C31XR. 3 el 20 m, 4 el. 15 m, 7 el. 10 m
- Hy-Gain 3 el 12 m yagi
- Butternut HF2V vertical 40 and 80 m
- Diamond F23 vertical 2 m
- 16 element 144 Mhz by I0JXX (16JXX2)
Elecraft K-3 HF Rig Contest Radio
ICOM IC756 Pro III HF Rig Remote Control radio
OM2500A 1,5 KW HF Power Amplifier (Contest Station/Remote)
- Two element full size quad, fixed to EU/NA @ 50 m
- Half Square East-West @ 50 m
- Two element phased verticals East-West @ 50 m
- Two element full size quad, fixed to EU/NA @ 40 m
- Bi-Square North-South @ 55 m
- Bi-Square East-West @ 55 m
- Stack 3x3x3 @ 10/20/30 m fixed EU/NA.
- Various monoband yagis 5/6 element.
- Hi-Z 4 square 30 m side size 160/80
- Beverage 320 m to EU/VK revers.
- Beverage 160 m to AF/JA revers.
- Beverage 200 m to East.
Other equipment and software:
- Force12 7-element monoband 50 MHZ yagi EF-706
- I0JXX 144 MHz yagi 16JXX2
- 2x15 el. 430 Mhz by Diamond
- DX4WIN Logging Software
- Win-Test Contest Software
- DX Atlas by VE3NEA
ex-calls: UJ8JCF, UJ8JM
President of Tajik Amateur Radio League
My farther-Masud EY8AA the oldest Ham in Tajikistan. He organized several expedition to rare oblasts of Tajikistan: 4J50R - 1974, UJ8JCF/P - 1975, UJ8JCF/U8V - 1979, U8L - 1980, EK8R - 1981, RJ6K - 1984 etc. He is very interested in electronic design and building equipment. He is working for GSM service provider as a chief of Technical department.
My uncle-Parviz EY8AJ recently joint our hobby and interested in building different sort of electronic equipment. Currently he is learning HF communication techniques and active member of VHF network in Tajikistan.
I am second Ham in our family. First qso was made in 1979 in the age of 11.
My brother-Irage EY8WW active DXer and time to time spending time in the contests. He is our computer guru and spent a lot of his spear time for software engineering. He is accomplished photographer as well.
Farzon is son of EY8AJ. Active since 2009. He already built his station and started some contesting and DXing.
My nephew - Mirzo EY8BB currently living in Canada now. While his short visits home he enjoys DXing. Hopefully someday he will manage to get VE call. (Photo at A61AF Club station in Dubai 2001).
My son - Zamir. Since Jan 2006.
My son - Zaur. Since Jan 2006.
My name is Nodir Tursoon-Zadeh
QTH: Dushanbe, Tajikistan.
First qso made using club station call UK8JBD back in 1979.
UJ8JMM since April 1984.
EY8MM since 1994.
- 1981: EK8R
- 1983: RJ8WCY
- 1984: RJ6K
- 1985: EU9J
- 1991: RJ0J, RJ2S, RJ4X, RJ5R
- 1992: YA1MM, YA5MM
- 1994: DL/EY8MM, EY70D
- 1997: UN7/EY8MM, HS0/EY8MM, VK3ER, E22AAA
- 1999: EY11OO
- 2000: A61AF, A61AO
- 2001: EY1ARP, EY10T, EY90MT
- 2002: EY2ARP, D44AC, D44TT
- 2003: D44TT, D4B (CQ WW RTTY)
- 2005-2006: EY0R
- 2010: AP2ARS
- 2011: VP8ORK
- 2014: VK6ZFM/MM
- 2014: FT5ZM
- 2019: VP6R
- N0DIR/AM, EY8MM/AM
- TA4/N0DIR, KH6/N0DIR, MU/N0DIR, ES5/N0DIR, KG6EBO
- DXCC Honor Roll #1
- WAZ 160
- WAS 160
- DXCC (160 - 6 m) 10 bands
- WPX Award of Excellence
- VUCC 50 MHZ
- Yasme Excellence Award - 2009
- 2006. Brasil. Referee.
- 2010. Russia. Judging Committee.
- 2014. USA. Judging Committee.
- 2018. Germany. Judging Committee.